Archive

Archive for the ‘fixes’ Category

Morning Gospels for Year 2

December 12, 2011 2 comments

I’ve received a number of comments about this one…

On page 934 of the BCP it states: “When the Office is read twice in the day, it is suggested that the Gospel Reading be used in the evening of Year One, and in the morning in Year Two.” Currently the breviary does not allow for this. I am working to correct it and will make it default once it’s done. Thus, during Year Two, the Gospel will be the second reading in the morning, meaning that the (second) reading in the evening will be the Epistle Reading.

This will change the way that I put my lectionary tables together so it will take me a little bit to accomplish. I’m hoping to get it done within the next week or two.

 

Categories: announcements, fixes

NRSV Woes

September 21, 2011 Leave a comment

The NRSV, as the newest large chunk of material added to the breviary, is still getting the bugs ironed out of it. (And when I say large, I mean a 38,000 row, 5 MB data table.) Thanks to Bill, I discovered that what I thought was an occasional verse dislocation was—in fact—a systemic error in the way the Epistles had been formatted. Reloading the fixed portion caused another issue this morning, though.

I’ve nuked the whole table and reloaded it from scratch so hopefully all will be well with it again!

Categories: fixes

Odd Lectionary Quirk

September 19, 2011 1 comment

I receive some questions today about the ending of the First Lesson in the NRSV. In the breviary it had the following:

He said to him, “Go in peace.” But when Naaman had gone from him a short distance,

Naturally this sparked questions as we typically don’t end passages in the middle of a sentence.

The reason is a matter of where the thought ends in relation to where the verse ends. Here’s how it ends in the KJV:

And he said unto him, Go in peace. So he departed from him a little way.

You can see the issue—in the KJV this is the natural closing of an episode; in the NRSV (and RSV) it’s not. When you crack your Hebrew text, you’ll see that the “So” of the KJV and the “But when” of the NRSV/RSV are translating a straight “ve” which can be rendered anywhere from a basic “and” to a variety of other conjunctions as the context determines. Further, v. 19 ends with one of the small sameks that signals a stopping point in the traditional Jewish reading of the text.

The NRSV and RSV decided that the traditional English and Jewish means of reading this passage incorrectly paused it at the end of 19, preferring to connect v. 19b with what followed.

In the English lectionaries (1662/1871/1922) 2 Kings 5 was read as a whole. In the American lectionaries it was similarly read whole until that work of radicalism known as the ’28 BCP. There, it appoints 2 Kings 5:9-19 on the Friday after the 20th Sunday after Trinity; the next morning had v. 20 through the end of the chapter.

The ’79 BCP reflects the text as written in the RSV (where the verse goes across two sentences) by truly appointing 2 Kings 5:9-19 on Monday of Proper 20 then going from vv.19-27 on Tuesday.

In short—yes, it’s a lectionary issue; but this one isn’t my fault!

Categories: fixes

Sanctoral Antiphon Fix

August 20, 2011 1 comment

Caelius had noted on the bug fix page that we had an issue with some of the sanctoral antiphons. I did an audit of the saints file and discovered that there were some corruptions in the base file that were pointing to the wrong items. These have been corrected and new versions uploaded.

Categories: fixes

A Tweak of a Tweak

I just loaded a change to the new feature that lets you select a different canticle. I did have a cool toggle sliding div thingie which looked neat and all (at least, I think it did…); the problem, though, is that it only worked and you could only select a different canticle if you had javascript enabled in your browser. This caused potential problems for mobile devices, folks with security concerns, and those with low bandwidth, et al.

I’m the first to admit, I’m a back-end guy; my main skill is building the databases and getting the right data out of them to the right places. Interfaces are not my specialty. And I know little about web accessibility issues. Thankfully, one of the people in the breviary community, Richard, does a great job of letting me know when my latest design idea has accessibility flaws and pushes me to code the front-end right so that everybody can use it, not just those with the latest browsers and fast download speeds.

So—the new tweak is in; let me know if you experience any issues with it.

Categories: fixes

Recent Fixes: July

I had been getting a lot of errors after the turn into Ordinary Time. A persistent Saturday Evening bug was the last straw; I brought the breviary down and did a thorough audit of the kalendar calculation file. I fixed the Saturday glitch and found a number of other problems which are corrected. In the course of that sweep, I also solved the mysterious disappearance of the second commemoration which had been happening for a while.

The next thing was an audit of the lectionaries for Year 1 and 2; a selection of typos and formatting inconsistencies met their match at that point.

Finally, I did a complete rewrite of the Scripture parsing code. The annoying Scripture errors (“Warning: mysqli_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result…”) should now be a thing of the past.

In addition to fixing things, I’ve incorporated two new features into the body of Morning and Evening Prayer: one allows you to select your own canticle, the second grants access to the “Prayers and Thanksgiving” section of the BCP after the Prayer for Mission.

If you run across any bugs, please add them to the bug reporting page!

Categories: fixes